In the Traditional Liturgy, this is the time of Septuagesima. This is a time in preparation for Lent, a time of penance. The vestments are purple and the chant is somber. The Alleluia has been buried.
I have been reading/praying the Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen, O.C.D. for over a year now. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a reflection and prayer on the spiritual life. During this time of Septuagesima, the author has been speaking about detachment and poverty. He says, "detachment practiced with perfection leads effectively to its goal: union with God." This is where the passage comes alive in Mark 10: 21, "Go sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor and thou shalt have treasure in heaven."
In striving towards union with God, I have found that I have many, many attachments. Attachments to my own opinion, my possessions, what I think others should be doing, and to even what I think God's Will is for me. I have a far, far, far way to go in detaching from these things. My first instinct is to try and give up many things for Lent and add much prayer to my life. Our wise seminarian this Sunday in his sermon, cautioned us against this. He stated that our human condition cannot sustain a lot of change. He suggested concentrating on one vice this Lent and work on eliminating them one at a time. I will continue to pray about what I will concentrate on this Lent. It's hard, where to start?
The past two seasons of Lent, my sacrifice has found me. Two years ago my heart was ripped in two in an issue with my family of origin. This trial was extremely painful, but had great fruit. Last year, I was still mourning the two losses I had in the last year. So, I do trust the Lord in his Infinite Wisdom to provide exactly what my heart needs. However, I would like to be prepared in finding the best sacrifice for Him in prayer, fasting, and alms giving. I'm glad I still have a week!
I'm a little scared of what my fasting will entail, but I do know it will result in an increase in prayer, which scares me a little bit too. It is this quiet fear that is telling me I'm on the right track.
ReplyDelete