Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lent 2013

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. DH and I have spent the last couple weeks discussing and deciding what we are doing for Lent. Our hearts need to grow closer to Him, so we have tried to pick some things that will bring us there.

Morning Prayer: We plan to get up early (since we tend to sleep in...) everyday around 6:15 AM and pray a Morning Office, probably the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary or Morning Prayer from Shorter Christian Prayer. At different times during the day and week, DH and I will say prayers, but we feel we need to be more united in daily prayer together.

Breakfast: Each morning we tend to make eggs and/or bacon during the week. DH needs lots of protein so we have gotten into a habit of having a warm and yummy breakfast. So we are going to have something cold for breakfast, probably cold soaked oatmeal or hard boiled eggs or cold cereal. Also, DH would like to say the Litany of the Sacred Heart before breakfast (he said it was short, but I'm not sure about that) but nonetheless, it is a good devotion for our little family.

Daytime Screen Time: This one is for me. I can spend Little E's entire nap on the couch reading blogs, pintrest, and/or FB for hours. I need to give it up. Its not healthy and I can spend that time doing better things like the Office of Readings, daily spiritual reading, organizing the house, and any number of craft projects I have been putting off. I am hoping this fast will help me not distract myself with online time and become more engaged in my home life.

Acts of Service: Little E and I will donate items to one charity a week. I have a list of local charities and we will pick up the goods and deliver them together, probably on Thursdays. I am hoping this habit will catch on for us and will show her how we are grateful for all the gifts from the Lord and that we need to share them with  others.

I wish you all a Holy Lenten Season. (If you would like to contact me, please email me!)

1 comment:

  1. E, you have grown so much spiritually in the last several years. I am inspired by you and love that your lenten devotions are being practiced with your spouse. beautiful!

    ReplyDelete