Sunday, September 22, 2013

On Gardening and Canning

Or "Why I wish it would frost."

In the summer months (and sometimes into the fall), we spend a significant amount of time gardening and canning. For the record, this was something that I did not  grow up doing. I married into it.
Concord grapes from my DH's aunt. 

Let me explain.

My lovely DH grew up gardening and canning with his parents. His dad would garden for half of their 1 acre plot. My MIL would can or freeze (or cook for the family) most of what they grew. And more. You see, my FIL has a great relationship with local gardeners. Some people that they know from living in this community for 35 years and some from listening to a local radio program, Tradio on the Radio (yes, that is the real name of the program).

This was another gift from my MIL, an antique jelly bag, sieve and stand.
This year, I tried to keep a record of where my FIL goes for this type of produce and that. And we even went on a few car trips with him. It was fun to tag along with him and talk with the other gardeners.

We also grew a sizable garden this year. DH tried a few new things like growing potato in recycled dog food bags so we didn't have to dig them when they were ready. The eggplant and purple cauliflower didn't grow well at all this year. We try to keep some records of what we grow and where it grows but usually by this time of the year it isn't updated, the weeds have outgrown many of the plants and quite honestly, I just wish it would freeze.

DH planted 38 tomato plants. Yes, 38. I think this yielded about 5 bushels of tomatoes or more. I have canned barbecue sauce, catsup, spaghetti sauce, vegetable juice, salsa, enchilada sauce and tomato soup.

If you are going to do anything but can around here in the summer, you must do it next to the produce.
One family tradition is making sauerkraut. My in laws own an antique slaw board from my MIL's grandparents. So we all make sauerkraut every year. Basically, we just slice the cabbage on the board into a galvanized tub and add salt and stuff it in quart jars. The jars sit in the basement for 6 weeks. Then it is ready to eat. So cheap and so good. But best of all, it is a fabulous family tradition (even if it a stinky one).

Throughout this season I have been reflecting on why I do all this canning. There is plenty of time to think when chopping, cooking, stirring, turning the sieve, and waiting for the canner to boil. Why do I spend so much time doing this? The quality of the products are so good. We have a great stock in case the economy tanks. I can win some money at the county fair.

But most of all, it is a family tradition.

Foghorn provides beautiful background music when picking tomatoes.

I have bonded so much with my MIL and FIL. Since we don't have the same views on religion, this gives us something to talk about. We share each other's frustrations when a "go" doesn't turn out. Or when it seems like the tomato season isn't ending. Or when all the lids buckle when canning peaches (this happened to us this year, I bailed and went to bed and DH stayed up and re-canned them). We sit and talk while snipping beans and delight in each other's rows of jars freshly canned. Best of all, we share in enjoying our preserved food all year and especially during the holidays; seven day pickles at Christmas time, sauerkraut on New Year's Day, spaghetti sauce in March for my MIL's birthday, and tomato soup on a lazy Sunday. I tend to forget the frustration, hard work, cut fingers, dirty kitchen floor, and anxiety over the proper method when I am enjoying my preserved food with loved ones. It really is so worth it. Even when I wish it would freeze.





I often think that if Mary lived today, she would can and preserve food for her family.

8 comments:

  1. My family is a big canning family too! My parents amaze me with how much food they put up - and they're always trying something new and sharing it with us =) Since I work full-time, I can't can (ha ha) as much as I want. But I still really enjoy it! This year I did salsa, peach jam, brushcetta in a jar, and whole tomatoes.

    Glad you have this family tradition! And it sure is delicious in wintertime =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you!!! :-) No Really!!
    "Or "Why I wish it would frost." yes!! I still should (well, really shouldn't) post pictures of our weedarden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to bond with the in-laws! And with delicious outcomes :) I've never gotten in to canning/gardening myself, but this may have just motivated me a little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still sad we never did any canning together so I could learn how!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so impressed! I never had much of an interest in gardening/canning (but I've also never owned a house or rented where I had a yard and didn't move mid-summer). But, I *love* the idea or having my own vegetables and sauces to eat year-round! Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to come be my wife this winter. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. E! Thanks for reposting my piece on infertility. Looks like you are well, and full to the brim with garden loveliness - lucky!!! Hope to keep following your blog and look forward to your updates. Blessings, ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. I SO enjoyed this post! Though I don't know the first thing about canning, I can pretty much guarantee you that if I lived any where close to you I'd be all up in that joint canning away lol!!!

    I love how you are sharing this with your in-laws. I think you are right, Mary would can!!! She would can so wel!! lol!!!

    As much as I loved every last minute of our modest gardening experience this summer, I am also kinda looking forward to the end of the season if you know what I mean:) I just want to ease right on into slow cooker meals again and seriously cannot wait for a wood burning stove! Please post about that! Please!! I need tips!!

    ReplyDelete